Tips To Avoid Home Buyer Scams
Updated: Jan 24
I’m writing this one not as “Mr Foxy” of Foxy Home Buyer but as “Damon from Jersey”. I’ve gotten a little bit more polite living in the south all these years but I think I have to take it back to the Tri-State for this one to get my point across.
Yo, listen up. If you're from Jersey, you know that we ain't no pushovers. We're tough and we know how to take care of ourselves. But when it comes to buying a home, even the toughest of us can get scammed. And let me tell you, if you get scammed in Jersey, people ain't gonna be too sympathetic. They'll just make fun of you and say "you shoulda known better."
Well, I'm here to help you avoid feeling like a chump by getting caught in a scam. So listen up and take notes, cause these tips are straight fire.
1. First things first, check with the state to make sure the business you're working with is on the level. In Florida you can check a Company's information on Sunbiz.org w/c is run by the Florida Department of State. “Ain't no one got time for fake companies tryna take your money.”
2. Watch out for the Snow White Syndrome. Just like Snow White getting tricked by the Evil Queen, don't fall for a scammer offering you a price that's too good to be true.
3. Stick with the professionals. Always use a title company and a realtor. They'll help you navigate the process and protect you from scams. It will cost a bit more since you're paying a realtor but for peace of mind I think it's worth it. One easy way to look for a realtor is going to Realtor.com.
4. Ask for the last house they purchased. If the company or individual you're working with has recently purchased a home, ask for the address and do your own research.
5. Don't accept or send any funds outside of escrow or title company. Scammers love to use this tactic to take advantage of buyers.
6. Read over your documents before signing. I cannot stress this enough. Read the fine print. I know it's boring but it's better to safe than sorry. Make sure you understand everything before putting your “John Hancock” on the dotted line.
Now, I ain't sayin' these tips will guarantee you won't get scammed, but they'll definitely give you an edge. And if anyone gives you crap for getting scammed, just remember, it can happen to anyone.
By following these tips, you're doing everything you can to protect yourself. So, be smart, use your head and don't let anyone take you for a ride. And oh yeah, wanna sell? “Call the Fox”. Sell to anyone else “Fahgettaboudit!"
For a quick and easy selling, give the fox a call at 866-404-3699 for an offer as quick as 9 minutes or you can fill out the form on our website www.foxyhomebuyer.com and we’ll call you as soon as possible. You can also check us on our Facebook page and take a look at some of our reviews and see a small number of people we’ve already helped out.
Keep it Foxy,
Sales manager & Founder